What are card-on-file transactions and automated payments?
Card-on-file transactions are payments processed using a card number you’ve stored with a merchant or service provider:
- Websites with whom you’ve created an account and saved your credit card information
- Transportation services (ex., Uber or Lyft)
- Clothing websites
- Online retailers (Amazon, Wayfair, etc.)
- Movies/music/eBook download services (Netflix, Pandora, etc.)
- Online payment services (PayPal, Digital Wallet, etc.)
Automated payments are recurring payments you set up with a merchant or service provider:
- Phone Service
- Cable/television service
- Homeowners’ association due
- Gym memberships
- Anti-Virus software
- Insurance premiums
- Recurring charitable donations
- Magazine subscription
Will all of my payment information be automatically updated?
If the merchant participates in Mastercard Automated Billing Updater, then your information will be updated at the frequency at which they check for updated payment information. If the merchant does not participate in this feature, then your information will not be updated. To avoid late payments and penalties, you must check with the merchant to ensure your card information is updated.
Why is this service being offered to cardholders?
The Mastercard Automatic Billing Updater service is required by Mastercard.
Is there a fee for the Mastercard Automatic Billing updater service?
No, there is no fee for this service.
What are the benefits of the Mastercard Automatic Billing Updater service?
- Reduces “card not present” declines
- Helps to ensure on-time bill payment
- Provides better Customer Service
- Prevents late fees and service disruption
Can members decline this service?
Yes. You can request to opt-out of this service by calling us at 503-588-0181 ext. 3811.